Sunday, September 30, 2012

September Social Meet

Our first Tuesday evening social meeting of the 2012 Autumn was held at Bowburn Hall Hotel on the 25th September.

Considering the foul conditions (heavy rain and flooding) we had a good turn out to listen to an interesting talk from biking solicitor Mark Hipkin regarding recent case decisions regarding filtering incidents.

Mark writes:

Re: DAM Biker Legal Talk: 25th September 2012

Thank you for the opportunity to speak to the Members on a wet,windswept and flooded Tuesday night. 

I enjoyed our discussion and I hoped that everyone also enjoyed it.  The Law in relation to filtering and overtaking changes all of the time but I felt that everyone understood the major importance of defining the facts at the scene and how much can rest on what appear to be unremarkable facts at the time. 

As always, I am here if anyone wants to raise any points either from that discussion or any other legal points that they may have.  I don’t charge for telephone advice (!) and I would rather hear from someone and if I cannot help them I will point them in the right direction.

As I also said at the meeting, I have a “nose” for working out whether cases can succeed or not and apart from my legal experience in Biking Law, I have many years experience of dealing with most general legal topics as I qualified as long ago as 1982! In sending this my 30th anniversary of practising as a Solicitor (I am not perfect yet!) is Monday 15th October 2012.  I may have a small beer.

Now for the good news - the winner of the prize for the person who is closest to the Judges final determination of liability in the 5 cases I showed everyone on the night is - Donald Russell who wins the prize of the Havana Club Rum. 

The box of chocolates I have decided to award to Malcolm Lonsdale for the next most correct set of answers.  

Legal bit: the Judges decision is final (both in this case and in the cases I referred to in the discussion!).  

Yours sincerely

Mark Hipkin
For Hipkin & Co


******************************************************
Hipkin & Co Solicitors
130/132 Park View, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear, NE26 3QN
Tel (0191 2533509) or outside UK: +44 (0)191 2533509
Fax (0191 2970269) or outside UK: +44 (0)191 2970269


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers